Magellan Magellan


Barcelona’s excellent location on the shores of the Mediterranean, its gentle climate and its open, cosmopolitan character make the Catalan capital an extraordinary place to live and study. It is recognized as a global city due to its importance in the spheres of culture, finance, business and tourism, and its port is one of the foremost in the Mediterranean.


Bachelor Courses in English

Business, Law, Criminology.  Students taking a full load of courses register for 24-30 ECTS units (12-15 credit hours), which may include 3 to 6 different courses. You can view courses here.


Master Courses in English


Language Courses
None available


Thesis/Final Project Work
Business. Bachelor or master level students interested in working on their thesis or final project may do so; however, they must have a faculty advisor at their home institution and they still must enroll in full-time coursework at ESERP.   No academic credit will be awarded.


At the beginning of each term (in September and in February), ESERP has orientation sessions. If possible, they will also assign you a student tutor who will help to prepare you for your stay in the city as well as help during your exchange.


A limited number of off-campus paid and unpaid internships, usually in retail or marketing, is available.  Students are responsible for finding their own placement upon arrival.  If possible, an internship supervisor can be offered by ESERP.  Internships cannot be guaranteed, but if available, students can participate for a maximum of 20 hours per week.


Part-time Employment
Not possible


Students with Disabilities
Students with learning and/or physical disabilities are welcome. A tutor can be arranged if needed. Some parts of the campus are accessible for students with physical disabilities.


Grades & Transcripts

The university uses the following grading system:


9.0-10.0 Outstanding A / A+
7.0-8.9 Very Good B+
5.0-6.9 Pass C / B- / B
0.0-4.9 Failure F


For more details on credit transfer, please refer to the Student Guidebook.


The evaluation system at ESERP is a continuous assessment process with a final exam. As the final/overall grade, the student gets 40% from final exams and the other 60% from all activities carried out throughout the semester (e.g., presentations, projects).  Therefore, the exchange student has to adapt to the academic calendar and evaluation system. Regarding the calendar, the fall semester ends in early February; if the student leaves before the end of the semester, some possible exams could be done at the home university, but this must be carefully organized in advance and cannot be guaranteed.  Therefore, spring semester participation is recommended.


Health Insurance
Students must purchase a health insurance policy and provide proof of coverage.


Typically no cost.


Students planning to study in Spain for longer than three months MUST obtain a student visa prior to departure. In principle, all student visa applications must be requested and picked up in person at the appropriate regional consulate for your state of permanent residence OR the state where you attend university.



Shared/private apartments or privately-operated residence halls.  Housing services are available to help you locate your preferred accommodation option.  Many students choose to book temporary accommodation (e.g., hostel) for use upon arrival so that they can explore neighborhoods and view options in person before making a final decision.  Prices can vary greatly (e.g., 300-1000 EUR per month) based on the type of housing you choose and its location, but there are plenty of affordable options within the city.  More information can be found in the student handbook.


A wide variety of restaurants, bars, bistros, cafes, and snack bars is available.


Students should fly into Barcelona (BCN) airport. Public transport and taxis are available from the airport.


Barcelona offers a wide variety of restaurants, bars, bistros, cafes, and snack bars. Numerous cinemas, live theatre, museums, community events, festivals, concerts, and sport activities are available.  The large student population in the city contributes to plenty of nightlife and entertainment options.


There are abundant shopping options, from small shops to large shopping centers.


There is a Mediterranean climate with mild winters and hot summers.  Average temperatures in summer are 80-84ºF, while winter temperatures average 50-60ºF.